Chadar Trek – PadumTrekking
Chadar Trek Info
Chadar – Frozen River Trek
Experience the amazing feeling of “walking on a River” Yes it is doable only in the Zanskar Valley of the Himalayas. This is where the River Zanskar freezes to become a Chadar. (Chadar is a Hindi word meaning Bedsheet). This is the true challenge of ones own ability to sustain temperature of -15 (Day) to -30 (Night).
Chadar Trek Batch Dates
- 18th Jan to 31st Jan( contact us - online registration not accepted )Book Now
Chadar Trek Padum Itinerary
Day 1: arrival leh
This day will be reserved for Acclimatisation & rest only. Trekkers will not be allowed to moved outside the hotel.
Day 2: drive to Shingra Yokma ( 3 hrs)
Reach Shingra Yokma by Non AC bus. Setup camp. Post lunch there will be a familiarisation trek.
Day 3: trek to shingra KomaÂ â€“ 5hrs
This will be your first day of trekking on the chadar & you will be slow in your walk & require practise. Post lunch you will reach your camp site
Day 4: shingra yokma to tipkyeak bawo â€“ 6 1/2 to 7 hrs
This day you will walk with better comfort & reach the next point of your trek Tip
Day 5: tipkyeak bawa to nyerak pulu (3390m) â€“ 6 â€“ 7 hrs
Today you will see the most amazing sight of a 55 feet frozen water fall at neyrak. This is one of the biggest waterfalls in the region & it will be completely frozen till the bottom. You will today also visit the Neyrak village.
Day 6: nyerak pullu to tsarak dho (3400m)- drive to padum â€“ 2 hrs
Visit the monastery in the morning then trek for 2 hrs through the valley before reaching the frozen chadar. We then begin our walk on the frozen river to tsarak dho. 5 â€“ 6hrs and from there the will pickup and drive to centre of the Zanskar region Padum.
Day 07: padum â€“ karsha
We will walk around the Padum Â and stakrimo gonpa and visit the the karsha monastery and the village karsha by jeep.
Day 08: drive padum to tsarak dho
Day 09: trek lingshed
Day 10: trek tipp bawo
Day 11: trek shingra kogma
Day 12: trek Shingra YokmaÂ â€“ drive to leh
Day 13:Â Buffer Day
Day 14 : Flyout
It is advised to keep 1 buffer day & leave Leh on 31st Jan 2017. You can always go to Pangong on the spareday,
Chadar Trek Cost
Service Tax Extra
There is a possibility that the authorities in Ladakh may charge Rs.2000 for Indians & Rs.2800 for Foreign Nationals. If the same is made mandatory then the amount will be collected from each individual at Leh
1. Accommodation in Standard room at leh 02 nights stay at specified hotels or Guest House in Leh with attached bath on triple sharing.(bed+breakfast)
2. 11 night stay in tents during the trek. All meals during the trek
3. Transportation by NAC Mini bus (as per availability) for arrival / departure transfers, drop and pickup.
4. Mics. charges are inclusive like
- Inner-line permits All applicable luxury/ road taxes
- Trekking equipment’s ( Tents / Dining Tent / Mattress /Sleeping bag )
- Staff ( cook / guide / helpers / porters )
Does Not Include:
- Any additional charges by forest department / LAHDC / any other authority
- There is a possibility that the authorities in Ladakh may charge Rs.2000 for Indians & Rs.2800 for Foreign Nationals. If the same is made mandatory then the amount will be collected from each individual at Leh
- Airfares / Airport Pickup & Drop
- Any monastery entrance fees, Any Joy ride or rafting.
- Medical expenses (apart from first aid) and insurance of any kind.
- Tips, laundry, liquors, wines, mineral water, telephone charges, camera fee and items of personal nature.
- Transportation is not on disposal basis. It is strictly as per the program, any extra running will be charges extra.
- Any expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances like flight delay / cancellation / hike in fare, strike or any other natural calamities or any emergency evacuation expenses.
- Any other item not mentioned in the cost includes section. Additional charges for Porters to carry luggage.
- Trekkers are advised to keep 1 Buffer day (Day 9) for any emergencies which may occur on the Chadar.
- Incase if the same is utilised there will be an additional charge of Rs.2500 per trekker which need to be paid at Leh.
- 50% advance while booking.
- 50% before 30 Days of travel.
- Full Refund – Cancellations prior to 45 days from the start of the trek
- 75% Refund – Cancellation between 45 days and 30 days to the start of the trek
- 50% Refund – Cancellation between 30 days and 20 days to the start of the trek
- No refund – Cancellation less than 20 days to the start of the trek.
Bank Account Details
|Bank||Branch||IFSC Cocde||Acnt Type||Acnt Holder||Acnt no|
|ICICI Bank Ltd||Koramangala 4thÂ Block||ICIC0001667||Current Acnt||Burn Boundaries Adventure Pvt Ltd||166705500022|
Nature offers its own challenges from time to time. As Ladhak is an extremely challenging terrain it is possible to have minor/major changes to the designed plan. It is also possible that traveller will have to incur additional costs owing to the challenges arising out of the ground level challenges.
Chadar trek is technically not that difficult. The challenges that you face are the EXTREME cold & highly unpredictable weather. Strong wind which take the cold to colder.Â Hence it is very essential to have a fit body & mind.Â You must be able to jog 3 to 4 km in 30 minutes or walk continuously in 10Âº incline for atleast 45 minutes In order to prepare for chadar we are giving you some recommendations. You can also read our blogÂ How to Approach Chadar TrekÂ for more info
What We Suggest
LUNGSÂ â€“ Push your lungs, Most critical work in any high altitude trek is of the LUNGS. They are at over work as they get very less oxygen & physical exertion will push them harder for 1.5 month prior to the trek.
- Jogging in running tracks â€“ 30 to 45 min a day
- Pranayama â€“ 15 min a day
MUSCLESÂ â€“ A well stretched & healthy muscles make the trek that much more easier. Focus on Legs, Back, Neck & Shoulder. 20min of focused stretching activities for 45 days will help.Â Â It determines the amount of movement your bones can make in any direction around joints such as shoulders, elbows, hips and knees.Â Â Stretching improves your posture and helps to prevent low back pain.
- Suryanamaskara â€“ 10 to 15 Sets a day
- Neck & Shoulder exercise
- Lower back stretches
- Hamstring & Quadreceps
Things to Carry
- BackpackÂ (55 â€“ 65 L)Â Light weight one
- GumBoots is the only shoes that will work great in this TREK. we strongly recommend you buy them at Leh which costs only Rs.450/-
- You get military socks in Leh for Rs.100 to 125. They are the BEST products for this trek
- Sun glassesÂ â€“ Sunglasses are mandatory for this trek, Curved ones will cover your eyes well. No blue coloured sunglass â€” they donâ€™t block UV. Blacks, greens, browns are fine. Avoid multi tone sunglasses. Sunglasses prevent snow blindness.Â . People who wear spectacles choose one of these:
- If above is not possible, wear your spectacles and carry a big sunglass that can be worn over your spectacles.
- Contact lenses are STRICTLY not allowed
Must Have â€“ Trek Accessories
- Trekking pole is mandatory
- Spoon, glass &Â Tiffin Box
- Thermos water bottle
- Headlamp with extra batteries
Must Have â€“ Clothing
- Thermals / Body Warmers â€“ 2 Noâ€™s
- Oversized Full TShirts with high neckÂ & Track Pants (light weight) Â â€“ 2 / 3 Noâ€™s
- Sweater / Fleece â€“ 1 Noâ€™s
- Windcheaters â€“ 1 Noâ€™s + Down Jacket â€“ 1 Noâ€™s
- Poncho/Rain Cover + Rain Pant â€“ 1Noâ€™s
- Socks â€“ 8 to 10 Pairs (Buy in Leh)
- Head Cap + Balaclave â€“ 1 Noâ€™s each
- Hand Gloves Inner 1noâ€™s + Outer (waterproof) â€“ 1 Noâ€™s
Must Have â€“ Other accessories
- Light towel (should be thin, quick drying kind)
- A Sanitary Paper
- Woolen head-scarf or muffler
- Cold cream andÂ sun screen lotionÂ (SPF 40+)
Must Have – Medical Kit
- Crocin â€“ 6 tablets
- Avomine â€“ 4 tablets
- Avil 25mg â€“ 4 tablets
- Combiflam â€“ 4 tablets
- Disprin â€“ 6 tablets
- Norflox â€“ 6 tablets
- Crepe bandage â€“ 3 to 5 meters
- Band aid â€“ 10 strips
- Digene â€“ 6 tablets
- Gauze cloth â€“ 1 small role
- Leukoplast â€“ 1 small roll
- Cotton â€“ 1 small roll
- ORS / Electoral â€“Â 10 packets
- Betadine or any antiseptic cream
- Moov spray
- Nebasulf/ Soframycine powder
Other Mandatory Instruction
- Medical Certificate format will be provided post enrolment
- Declaration & Disclaimer Form â€“ will be provided post enrolment
- Plastic Bottles are STRICTLY prohibited
- Recommended bag weight is 7 to 8 Kgs
- 1 Govt ID Card is mandatory
- Burn Boundaries follows STRICT No Smoking / Alcohol policy
Burn boundaries will make you fall in love for the true/hidden beauty of the place instead of what is shown on media (horrible touristy places).Â TheyÂ can be trusted to deliver whatever they have contacted for (in fact much more) at the apt price. USP of burn boundaries is the personal touch that they provide by doing excellent ground work and of course, attention to details. I donâ€™t know how Leh Ladakh could have been better. Burn boundaries planned the most awesome offbeat route, best hotels, guide, super fast driver along with surprise of camping. I would recommend burn boundaries for the combination of interesting itineraries and high rating on customer satisfaction. I can’t wait to go with the burn Boundaries team next time and explore the unexplored India.
-- Tithi Patel, Traveller, Delhi
-- Srikanth, Sarpass Trek, Himachal
-- Sirishkar, Traveller from Hyderabad
-- Manoj Chaudhari Traveller from Nasik
-- Lakshmi Traveller from Bangalore
Burn Boundaries helped me have an experience in Ladakh which will forever be etched in memory and translate into hundreds of stories in the years to come. We were there at a time when BB Team and his men were under immense pressure due to the closing of the Chadar trek suddenly. However, his team changed plans and overnight made alternate arrangements for us to have a frozen river trek at wanla.
-- Anubhav Sinha, Trekker from Kolkatta
The organisers were an absolute gem, going out of their way to accommodate my needs. The support team, were fabulous, and made the journey so much more enjoyable. The guides were knowledgable and provided great insight to the area. All in all, i’d highly recommend taking a trip with Burn Boundaries, you wont regret it, i definitely didnt.
-- Christine, Traveller+Trekker from Australia
Chadar Trek â€“ January 2015
It was a pleasure travelling with Burn Boundaries. Food and Sleeping bags were good. Guides were outstanding. The entire staff was always pleasant, willing to help with a smile on their face. The pickup and drop vehicles were well driven. Thank you for truly wonderful and safe trip.
-- Nimisha Shah, Trekker from Mumbai
Travelling to ladakh with an agenda in hand was very helpful withÂ BurnÂ Boundaries. The way BB team had organised the whole trip is worth appreciating. Every individual was personally attended to with a complete brief of the itinerary, weather conditions, time of travel, distance to destination, terrain conditions(road travel) ahead of the journey. This pre planning allowed me to concentrate on enjoying my trip rather than focusing on where to stay and how to get there. There were no problems even after a lot of people fell ill. Everything was organized as expected. Efforts were taken by the organizers to make sure everyone were comfortable during the journey !
BB Teams passion is travelling to unexplored locations and that made our trip extremely worthwhile !
-- Vandana & Sulil, Travellers from Chennai
Walk the talk is what clearly got into my senses with burn boundaries. The recent trek of Lamayuru was so well organised in the tough conditions and with each crew member full of compassion made this trek engraved in my and my daughter’s memory forever. I will do injustice if Â I do not mention the care and empathy shown by Burn Boundaries, before , during and after the trek.
-- Trekker - Alok Malaviya with daughter Radhika, Bhopal
As a foreigner, I found myself quite comfortable with Burn Boundaries leading. They are flexible, friendly and professional so that I rather think I was with a trustable friend rather than a trekking firm.
I would definitely recommend my friends and whoever from Thailand consider Burn Boundaries as one of their choices.
-- Songphon K, Trekker, Thailand
Interesting part of riding with Burn Boundaries is the research, planning & execution. There is always a plan B. I felt at home from the day 1 & the team was like a family.
-- Amol Raina, Rider from Mumbai
I enjoy traveling with Burn Boundaries mainly because of the organizers, The team members who make it more and more interesting for every trip, be it a small trek or Himalayas! I love the flexibility we get during the trips to stop and enjoy the nature.
-- Manjula BK, Traveller, Bangalore